Lamb Shanks with Red Wine Gravy
Ingredients for the Lamb Shanks
2-4 Lamb shanks, about ~1 lb each
2 tbsp sunflower oil
3 small onions, roughly chopped
2 large carrots, peeled and sliced
2 large celery sticks, diced
4 large garlic cloves, crushed
1 rosemary sprig
2 thyme sprigs
1 1/2 tbsp tomato paste
2 tbsp cornstarch
1 1/3 cups dry red wine
3 cups lamb broth
2 tbsp butter, cubed
freshly ground black pepper
Ingredients for the Mashed Potato
8 cups russet potatoes, peeled and cut into even chunks
1/2 cup butter, cubed
To serve: thyme sprigs and rosemary sprigs
For the lamb:
- Preheat oven to 300F. Trim shanks with a sharp paring knife, cutting away excess fat and gristle.
- Heat oil in a Dutch oven set on stove on high heat until hot. Season lamb shanks with salt and pepper before searing in the hot oil until golden-brown all over. Remove to a plate.
- Add onion, carrot, celery, garlic, herbs and 1/2 tsp salt to the Dutch oven. Sauté for 3-4 minutes before stirring in the tomato paste and cornstarch. Cook for 1 minute, stirring, before deglazing with wine.
- Let wine reduce by half before returning shanks to the Dutch oven. Pour in broth and bring to the boil. Once boiling, cover Dutch oven with a tight-fitting lid.
- Braise in the oven for about 2-2 & 1/2 hours until meat is coming away from the shanks.
- Remove from oven and remove shanks from the Dutch oven, wrapping loosely in aluminum foil. Let rest to one side.
- Pass vegetables and gravy from the Dutch oven through a fine sieve into a saucepan, pressing on the aromatics to release as much liquid as possible.
- Bring gravy to a simmer. Whisk in butter by the cube until incorporated and glossy. Season to taste with salt and pepper. Cover and set aside until needed.
- Cook potatoes in a large saucepan of salted, boiling water until tender to the tip of a knife, 20-25 minutes.
- Drain potatoes when ready and pass through a ricer into a mixing bowl. Beat in the butter and then season to taste with salt and pepper.
To serve: Spoon the mashed potato into serving bowls. Sit the shanks on top and spoon over the gravy. Garnish with thyme and rosemary sprigs before serving.
Try this at home. Shop Lamb Shanks now.